Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Indianers

First off, I love this name. I'm not sure why, but I think it's fun to say. Say it out loud. You'll think it's funny too.

Back to reality, I had my first request for a recipe yesterday. My mom specifically asked for a recipe with chocolate and orange in it. I, personally, love any fruit with chocolate, so was happy to oblige. Just a warning, this is a long recipe. There are lots of steps involved, and it is far from easy. On a personal note, I love long complicated recipes. It always gives me a sense of accomplishment when I'm finished. I should also tell you that every single time I made something complicated and commiserated to Michelle about how difficult it was, she would always have some tip or trick that would have made things so much easier. Why she never had those tips for me before I embarked on a complicated recipe is beyond me. At least I have those tips for next time I suppose.

If anyone has any requests or suggestions, please pass them along. I'm perfectly happy to seek out specific recipes for you or just find something using a specific ingredient you happen to love. Just ask and I will do my best to deliver.

Indianers*
Makes 2 dozen

2 navel oranges
1 package (18.75 ounces) pudding-included yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tb confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
1 tsp vanilla
1 can (16.5 ounces) double Dutch frosting mix (apparently they don't make this anymore, but you can use chocolate fudge frosting from a can or make your own)
2 Tb granulated sugar
1 tsp water
1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped

Grease and flour 24 large muffin pan cups.

Zest one orange to get 1 Tb of zest. Remove thin orange skin (no white) from second orange with vegetable peeler. Cut into thin strips, about 1/2 inch long (you should have 1/4 cup of strips). Squeeze 1/2 cup orange juice from oranges.

Combine cake mix, eggs, water, 1/2 cup orange juice, oil, and grated zest into large bowl. Beat with electric mixer at low until ingredients are moistened; increase speed to high and beat for two minutes. Divide mixture evenly among prepared muffin cups.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until centers spring back when lightly touched with fingertips. Remove to wire racks and let cool for 10 minutes. Remove cakes from pans and cool.

Trip top of cupcakes evenly with scissors or a knife, if necessary. Cut off a 1/4 inch slice with a sharp knife from top of the cupcakes and reserve slices. Scoop out centers 1/4 inch from the sides and about 1/2 inch deep, almost to the bottom (save the crumbs to layer with chocolate pudding in parfait glasses for a quick dessert; really, it tells you to do this so you must)

Beat heavy cream with powdered sugar and vanilla in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Fill centers of cakes with mixture, spreading lightly to the edges. Press reserved slices back on top of cakes. Place cakes top down on a wire rack set over wax paper.

Place frosting in top of a double boiler (or metal bowl over pan) set over simmering water to melt. Hold cakes on a pancake turner (offset spatula would work great) one at a time over the frosting. Spoon frosting over the cake to cover completely, letting the excess drip back into the pan. Use a small metal spatula to slide each cake onto a wire rack set over wax paper. Let set for one hour or until firm.

Combine granulated sugar, water, and the 1/4 cup of orange rind strips in a small skillet. Cook for one minutes or until sugar glaze coats orange strips. Remove with a fork to wax paper, separate slightly, and cool.

Garnish each cake with whipped cream and candied orange peel. Chill until serving time.

*this recipe is from a magazine, but since Michelle cut it out and glued it to a 3x5 card I have no idea which one; I felt obligated to let you know though

No comments:

Post a Comment