Saturday, August 28, 2010

Hershey's Deluxe Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake

Did you know that I used to tell people I didn't like chocolate? In fact, I used to think I didn't like chocolate. To this day I still hate chocolate ice cream and don't necessarily like chocolate cake much, but I have somewhat changed my tune about chocolate on the whole. I don't eat chocolate very often, but when I do it has to be of higher quality (no store brand chocolate bars for me), and I usually like some sort of crunch in it (nuts, crunchy bits, spices, etc.). Right now my favorite chocolate bar is coconut curry chocolate. I know, I know, it sound weird, but it's great. And it's all organic and fair trade and whatnot so it's got that going for it. And it's made by a company in Seattle. That's good too. It's a little pricey, but I think it's worth it to have good chocolate. It's made by Theo chocolate. You should try it.

I know for a fact that Michelle and I were alike in this mentality. One small piece of something truly decadent is always better than an abundance of low-quality food. For her this mentality seeped out of the realm of food into the realm of everything in her life. I've never quite gotten completely on board with this approach to life, but I'm working on it. I have adopted this approach to food though, and, let me tell you, I've never eaten so well in my entire life.

Hershey's Deluxe Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake

3 oz Hershey's baking chocolate
1/3 cup water
3/4 cup butter
2 1/4 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/4 cups unsifted cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water

Melt chocolate with 1/3 cup of water. Cool.

Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and beat well. Blend in chocolate.

Combine dry ingredients and add to batter alternately with 1 cup of water. Beat just until well-blended. Pour into prepared cake pans*. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn onto racks.

*There are no sizes or instructions given, but if I were making this I would use two round cake pans that have been greased and floured.

1 comment:

  1. Do you have the frosting recipe made with the unsweetened squares. ..if so please email to me....thank you
    edouglass2012@att.net

    ReplyDelete