Friday, August 27, 2010

Chocolate Souffle

I have never made souffle. It's just too intimidating. Even though this recipe is deceptively simple, it scares me. I'm sure Michelle made souffle quite a few times. I truly regret not asking her to help me make one so that I wouldn't be so scared. I guess I'll just have to try it on my own. Or maybe not. It's still pretty scary.

Chocolate Souffle

3 Tb melted butter
3 Tb flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup boiling milk
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
4 beaten egg yolks
5-7 stiffly beaten egg whites

Blend butter, flour, sugar, and salt in a pan over low heat. Stir in milk and chocolate. When chocolate is melted remove from heat and slowly add egg yolks. Cool.

Fold in egg whites. Pour into buttered souffle mold. Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes, put mold in pan of hot water*.

Serve with a sauce of whipped cream beaten with a little sugar and rum.

*This is copied directly from the recipe card. As far as I know, souffle's are often cooked in a water bath, so I think this means to put the souffles into a baking dish with warm water then bake them in that. It wouldn't make any sense to take them out of the oven and then put them in a warm water bath would it? Would it? If anyone knows for sure please let us all know, otherwise we'll just have to go with trial and error.

No comments:

Post a Comment