Saturday, June 26, 2010

Minestrone

I am down visiting my parents for the week, and I remembered one of Michelle's recipes that she has shared with my entire family. One week my parents happened to be up here on Sunday evening, and, being the consummate hostess, Michelle invited them to Family Dinner at her house. It (thankfully) was Michelle's turn to cook and she made us minestrone. I had eaten her minestrone many times, but my parents had yet to experience it. Needless to say, they loved it. They asked for the recipe, and since then it has found it's way to at least two of my aunts. It is a fantastic recipe, and since Michelle was kind enough to share it with my family, I would like to share it with all of you. Now I know you may have had minestrone before, but I assure you you have never had any as good as this. Make it. Make it right now. Your belly will thank you.

Michelle's Minestrone

2 Tb olive oil
4 links mild Italian sausage
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large white onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 orange or yellow bell pepper, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can diced tomatoes with their juice (I prefer crushed tomatoes; less watery)
2 cans chicken stock (I'm assuming these are 14.5 ounce cans)
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp dried red chile flakes
1 can great northern beans
2 cups dried pasta (small shells, ditalini, or something else mini)
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
grated Parmesan cheese

Heat 2 Tb olive oil in large heavy pot on medium high heat. Brown sausage on all sides. Add 1/2 cup water, reduce heat, cover and cook until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove from pot and reserve. When cool, slice into 1/4 inch rounds.

Discard water from pot and return to burner. Heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 10 mintues. Add peppers and saute for another 10 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, stock, sausage slices, and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in lots of boiling, salted water until almost done (1 minutes less than the package says for al dente). Drain and rinse.

Add beans to soup and simmer for 15 minutes. Add pasta and peas and simmer for 10 minutes.

Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Caitlin. This is a living memoir of our dear Michelle and one of the loves of her life...cooking. I miss her. Each time I exercise at Curves...and the many times she runs through my mind and heart...I miss her. Thank you for compliling and sharing her recipes. And with such touching and inviting commentary. Michelle spoke of you often with fondness and gratitude for having such an amazing daughter in law. Hope you are all doing okay. I can only imagine what the loss of Michelle is for you. My best to you and your family.
    Take Care, Laurie

    ReplyDelete