Monday, June 21, 2010

Mushroom Hors D'oeuvres

Hi,I'm Kyle, and I am Michelle's son (for those of you who are reading this but might not know a lot about her). My wife, Caitlin, started this blog and I am so grateful to her for sharing my mom's wonderful gift in some way. I thought every now and then I could contribute something and tell some stories and whatnot from my past with my mom. My mom loved to share her abilities and creativity in the kitchen to anyone who wanted to learn and have fun. She would even have cooking classes right in the house and since our family room was open to the kitchen, she could cram in a lot of women! In fact, I never really realized this until now, but her kitchen was set up just like a cooking show kitchen: gas range built into an extended counter that faced the family room with a sink and double wall ovens behind her. And often my brother and I would be sent to the downstairs playroom so we wouldn't interrupt the show! But the funny thing was, she really didn't like the kids in the kitchen when she was cooking. I think when she was in her element it became HER space, her sanctuary. But that's not to say I don't have many many fond memories of the times she did cook with us (which ended up being mostly cookies and sweets but that is beside the point) and those are the stories I will mostly be sharing here. So now that I have rambled on, I thought it would be best to start with one of the few "serious" recipes I ever got to make with my mom. One thing about her was that she loved to throw dinner parties, or organize other people's dinner parties, or even cater them too. And Hors D'oeuvres were always a HUGE thing (presentation, presentation, presentation!). So with out further ado I give you my mom's Mushroom Hors D'oeuvres. I've also included a scan of her original recipe card so you can see how well loved this recipe really was, and of course, that is how you can spot the ones she made the most!



Mushroom Hors D'oeuvres

1 can crescent rolls
1 small package of cream cheese
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
butter
2 Tb. green onions, chopped
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. lemon juice
parmesan

Pat rolls into 9x13" pan. Spread with softened cream cheese. Sauté mushrooms in butter until soft. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and cook until dry. Spread on top of cream cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment