Thursday, June 17, 2010

Avocados stuffed with curried crab

According to Kyle "Michelle loved any food you could rip apart with your hands." In this category falls lobster, oysters (she actually invested in a chainmail glove to wear while shucking oysters so that she didn't slice her hand off), and, of course, crab. I was never privy to a Michelle crab dinner, being lukewarm on crab myself, but I got the skinny from Kyle. It was frowned upon to use silverware of any kind, and if you could get to the meat without a mallet or cracker (is that even possible?) you won brownie points from Michelle. This all being said, about how I'm not a huge fan of crab, I'm dying to try this recipe. I love both avocados and curry with a vengeance, and when combined with crab I have a feeling this would make a lovely treat. I hope you feel the same way

Avocados stuffed with Curried Crab

3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 large egg yolk
2 tsp+ curry powder
1 tsp+ lemon juice
cayenne pepper (no amount given, you're on your own for this one)
salt and pepper
3/4 lb flaked crab
3/4 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions
1/3 cup drained and chopped fruit chutney (at least I think that's what is says)
3 large avocados

Combine the mayonnaise with the egg yolk, 2 tsp curry powder, 1 tsp lemon juice, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Combine half of this mixture with the crab, celery, scallions and chutney. Peel, halve lengthwise, and pit the avocados. Brush with lemon juice. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Divide crab mixture among avocados, mounding up on the top. Spread with remaining mayo mixture and broil for 3 minutes or until puffed and golden.

2 comments:

  1. I am making this this weekend I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's make it at your house for Saturday dinner. I'll bring CRAB!

    ReplyDelete