Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Flaming Spinach Salad

I have a big bunch of spinach in my fridge just screaming for me to use it. I took a look through Michelle's recipe box and found quite a few good spinach recipes. I decided I would share one of my favorites with you today.

This recipe in particular is one of Michelle's originals. It appears in one of the guild cookbooks, and I have been dying to try it ever since I saw it months ago. When I first read through the recipe, I thought that the flaming brandy at the end was only for show, but it seems like the combination of warm dressing and flaming brandy would wilt the spinach just enough to make it delicious. I keep trying to come up with reasons to make this salad, but it's just a little bit too dramatic for our daily dinners. Next time we have a fancy dinner party (maybe in 2015?) I'm making this.

One note, make sure you have a metal ladle for this recipe. For some reason I have a feeling that a plastic one wouldn't hold up to the flaming brandy.

Flaming Spinach Salad
Serves 4-6

1 bunch of spinach, stemmed and washed
3 hard cooked eggs, chopped
10 large mushrooms, sliced
4 green onions, sliced
6 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled (reserve fat for dressing)
croutons
salt and pepper to taste

Tear spinach and toss well with remaining ingredients.

Dressing

1/3 cup bacon fat (or part olive oil)
1/4 cup malt (this is underlined) vinegar
2 Tb fresh lemon juice
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp worcestershire sauce

Right before serving, bring ingredients to a boil. Toss with salad.

Flame 2 Tb warm brandy in a ladle and pour over salad. Toss gently and serve.

Don't forget to turn out the lights!

No comments:

Post a Comment