Sunday, September 26, 2010

Beef Porcupines

I found this recipe just this morning (how I had missed it during one of my 50 times through the recipe box is beyond me) and the name struck me as entertaining. As soon as I told Kyle the name of the recipe I found he immediately said "Those are great!" I asked him if they were something that his mom made often when he was younger simply because I love the recipes that I know Michelle loved. Apparently they weren't common fare in their house, but they were good enough that Kyle distinctly remembers them. He says that remind him of meatloaf, but the recipe sounds to me more like mini rice and hamburger casserole. Either way, I love this recipe. It's really quite simple, but sounds delicious. It requires minimal prep-time, it's a one-pot meal (a staple in our house since I hate washing dishes), it has a fantastic name, and it makes my husband happy just to think about it. What more could I ask for?

Beef Porcupines
Serves 4

1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup raw rice
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 Tb oil
2 cans tomato sauce
1 cup water

Mix meat, rice, onions, and seasoning. Form into small balls. Fry in oil until light brown, but not crusty. Add tomato sauce and water. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.

That's it. Really. That's it. Simple huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment